Tuesday, November 2, 2010

November 2nd

About a year ago, I couldn't sleep. Anxious about how this nasty cancer would take my dad, I got on the internet at 4 in the morning researching brain cancer. I read many many accounts of a difficult end, but there was one account of a man who entered into a coma and passed while "sleeping". So I began to pray. I prayed all year that this would be the way that the Lord would choose to take my Dad.

Somewhere between Thursday and Sunday, my Dad slipped into a coma. Sean and I got to my parents Sunday around 5:00. My dad was laboring to breathe but I didn't think much of it. We ate dinner and went back into the room to see him. He looked significantly worse and his heart rate was very high. We new it was the end. It was a long few hours wrestling with anxieties. I didn't know if I wanted to be in the room or if I could take seeing him and hearing the 'death rattle' in his chest. The Lord was faithful to bring me peace. Sean reminded me that this was exactly what we had prayed for. He was sleeping and in no pain, and it didn't look like a seizure would be his end. The Lord was showing MERCY! The family and a few close friends sat by his side for a few hours, praying and singing worship songs.

Around midnight, he took his last breath. 16 months of a difficult battle with cancer is over. It was just exactly the best way for it to happen. The Holy Spirit was felt and present. His wife, children, brother and his closest and dearest friends by his side, singing him into heaven.

There will be a visitation at Graham Funeral Home, Thursday night from 6-8. Funeral at Sovereign Grace Church, Friday at 1.

Thank you all for your prayers and help with the food and with watching our boys. we are overwhelmed with your outpouring.

Some glad morning when this life is o'er,
I'll fly away;
To a home on God's celestial shore,
I'll fly away, I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, Oh Glory
I'll fly away
When I die, Hallelujah, by and by,
I'll fly away

When the shadows of this life have gone,
I'll fly away;
Like a bird from prison bars has flown,
I'll fly away

Just a few more weary days and then,
I'll fly away;
To a land where joy shall never end,
I'll fly away

3 comments:

Rebekah Judd said...

Just talked to Debra P at the grocery store and heard what a blessing it was to be with your Dad at the end. So glad God answered your prayers, Katie. I've been praying for you a ton, and I keep reading 2 Corinthians 4 and thinking of you. "for what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal". Praise the Lord he continues to sustain you guys. Praying for sleep during this exhausting week!

erin said...

Love you. "Just a few more weary days..."

Katie said...

Katie- praying for you- thanks for your post.
Love, Katie